Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day and Raspberry Crumbles!


Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I have officially decided that Valentine's Day has been lengthened to not only celebrations on the 14th, but also on the 15th and 16th! V-day is most definitely my favorite holiday. A great excuse to wear pink and red, draw little hearts on everything, and make delicious desserts!

I'm a little behind the curve, so I couldn't make this year's dessert actually on Valentine's Day due to homework overload and my procrastination to do it :) But, since today is a snow day(and as you know, by my other snow day posts) it's a great excuse to cook.

I made raspberry crumbles. Technically, they're just raspberry crisps, but doesn't it sound more fun when I call them crumbles? I baked them in they're own little ramekins but if you don't have these cute little ramekins, go buy them. Or if you are feeling stubborn, just follow the recipe and bake the raspberries in a casserole dish, you may have to lengthen the cooking time ju
st a smidge. These crumbles turned out really good actually! A little tart, but the sweet topping evens it out. Topped with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream totally seals the deal.


You will need:

2 bags(12 oz. each) frozen raspberries
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 stick(1/2 cup) butter-softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice

Then do:

First make the crumbly top. Stir the brown sugar and flour. Cut the butter into tablespoons and throw that in too. Then get your hands in it! Use your fingers to mix the butter into the brown sugar and flour. Keep mixing until the crumbs are small pieces. To make the filling, put all the raspberries in a bowl. I used them in their frozen state and it worked just fine. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. I'm not sure why I used lemon juice, it just sounded like it would go with the raspberries. I contemplated putting it on the recipe. It worked in mine but it probably didn't make a difference so if you want to, put it in. If not, feel free not to! You are a liberated chef! Separate the raspberry mixture between eight ramekins. Mine needed just a little over 1/3 cup per ramekin. But don't go sparingly, pack it on! Then top the berries with the crumbly mixture. You will probably use all the crumbs so be generous with that too. Place the ramekins in another pan so they are all together. Put them in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. You know they're done when the tops are golden and crispy with little spots of raspberry goo peeking out.



They taste best when they are still kind of warm. Oh, yeah! That's what I'm talking about!



Enjoy your raspberry crumbles and your Valentine's Days!!!

2 comments:

  1. These are delicious! The "crumble" part is my favorite part. - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I think I am going to try it! Yum!

    Heidi :)

    ReplyDelete